Johnston County Schools would like to thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher with our school system. The following applicants will be considered for approval as substitute teachers:
- Individuals who hold or have held a clear North Carolina Teaching License
- Individuals who have previously been employed in permanent positions with Johnston County Schools
- Individuals completing their student teaching in North Carolina
- Individuals with at least a high school diploma and supporting documents
- Complete online substitute teacher application
- Two (2) written references (professional and/or personal)
- An EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) form
- A consent form for a background check
- Copy of high school diploma or college degree
- Health Form which includes TB test results (form provided at signup meeting)
Individuals with a high school diploma or college degree but without a teaching certificate may need the following:
- Recommendation from principal
- Effective Teacher Training (ETT)
- 12 hours with Johnston Community College
- Observation Hours (18 hours after ETT class is completed, form will be mailed from our office)
Substitute Salary Info
Substitute teachers who hold or have held a clear North Carolina Teaching License will receive $103 per day. Substitutes who have never held a clear North Carolina Teaching License receive $80 per day.
Please contact Tiffany Foreman at (919) 934-6032 ext. 8030 for additional information on completing the approval process.
ATTENTION State of NC Retirees! If you accept a position in which you work more than 30 hours/week OR are a variable hour employee (such as a substitute teacher) and average working more than 30 hours/week, you are at risk of losing your retiree health insurance plan. You would be offered a plan with fewer benefits (such as a $5,000 deductible) than the plan you currently have. Please plan carefully so that you are not placed in this situation.