NC General Statue 115C-296(b), NCDPI's Licensure Section has established a 5-year window immediately following the retirement date that allows a retired teacher to renew a license.
- 5-year license cycle is 7/1/2011 to 6/30/2016
- Retirement date is 7/1/2013
- Eligible for renewal without CEUs from 7/1/2013 to 6/30/2018
- Any renewals for this license after 6/30/2018 will require CEUs
The retired educator is responsible for renewing through the online licensure system
. An account must be registered
with the online licensure system
(if one is not already established). Documentation from the Retirement System of the educator's retirement date is required and needs to be scanned as a PDF file. The application requires a non-refundable $35 licensure processing fee payable by VISA or Mastercard.
Retired educators serving as Substitutes who are seeking to renew a continuing license can renew based on the following requirements:
- 640 hours (80 days) of substitute teaching during the renewal cycle
- 8 hours (.8 CEU credits) of professional development
Once the hours are documented and the professional development is earned, the educator must renew through the online licensure system
. The documentation of BOTH requirements must be scanned as a PDF attachment and the $35 licensure processing fee paid by VISA or Mastercard.