Lateral Entry Introduction

What is Lateral Entry?

  • Lateral entry is an alternative route to teaching for qualified individuals outside of the public education system. Lateral entry allows qualified individuals to obtain a teaching position and begin teaching right away, while obtaining a license as they teach.
  • Only the hiring school system can initiate the process for lateral entry status.

Qualifying for a Lateral Entry License

Application Process

  • Applicant will need to complete a certified online employment application. Refer to the Licensed Application page for further instructions. Applicant will also need three letters of reference and all official college/university transcripts.
  • Applicant will need to view the JCS Licensed Vacancies page.
  • Applicant contacts schools directly to request interviews for any positions they feel qualified.

Hiring Process

  • Principals will interview applicants for qualified positions.
  • Principal will make recommendation to Human Resources Director who will make the offer after confirming licensure eligibility and reference/criminal background check.
  • An appointment with the Licensure Office in Human Resources to begin licensure application paperwork will be made after employment offer and acceptance.

Obtaining the Plan of Study

  • After becoming employed as a lateral entry teacher, there are two ways to obtain a Plan of Study outlining the coursework needed to clear the lateral entry license:
    • Plan of Study from a college/university with an approved teacher education program (NC Teach or licensure-only programs)
    • Plan of Study from the Regional Alternative Licensing Center


Yearly Requirements

  • Passing Praxis II and/or Pearson scores by the end of the second year of the lateral entry license.
  • Three years maximum to clear the lateral entry license – no extensions will be granted.

JCS Resources for Lateral Entry Teachers

  • Ten day orientation for each beginning lateral entry teacher
    • Beginning Teacher Institute
    • 3 day session in August
    • Year-long support program
    • Assigned a mentor for support

Experience Credit

  • Any previous, relevant non-teaching work experience which can be documented by previous employers can be submitted to the Department of Public Instruction to be evaluated for non-teaching experience credit. An official job description is also required.
  • Also, college teaching experience can be submitted for credit if properly verified.

Clearing the Lateral Entry License

  • After all lateral entry requirements have been completed, a recommendation will be made to the Department of Public Instruction for clearance of the lateral entry license.

Additional Information

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.