Johnston County Schools, CenturyLink and the Greater Area Smithfield Chamber of Commerce have partnered to create a Free Wi-Fi Directory for students. This online directory provides a list and interactive map of free Wi-Fi hotspots, sponsored by organizations and businesses in Johnston County. The Free Wi-Fi Directory is available at www.johnston.k12.nc.us/jocowifi and also accessible from the school district and school websites.
With the growing number of schools participating in Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and school provided one device per one student (1 to 1) initiatives, the system would like to support students and parents by providing locations that provide internet without charge.
These initiative align with our district's goals:
1. Develop students who are self-directed learners
2. Help students stay organized and on track with school work and graduation
3. Have teachers use real time resources to bring relevant experiences to students
4. Improve communication between teachers, students and parents
5. Transform the teaching and learning environments in Johnston County schools
6. Prepare Johnston County students for entry into the workforce, higher education, and the military by helping them successfully compete in an ever changing, technology-driven, global economy.
If you are a business owner and want to support our goals by providing internet access to JCS students and their families, please CLICK HERE or visit bit.ly/jocowifi to add your business to our Wi-Fi directory and map. We will send you a 4 x 6 "free Wi-Fi" static cling (similar to the graphic above) to display in a prominent location at your business.
If you have questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and CLICK HERE for a Free Wi-Fi FAQ.